Friday 24 July 2015

                                       All about Communication

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines communication as the act or process of using words, sounds, signs, or behaviors to express or exchange information or to express your ideas, thoughts, and feelings to someone.
This week’s topic is all about perception, and how I see myself as a communicator, how our thoughts and cognitions influence how and what we communicate to others. Based on the scores I got on communication Anxiety inventory, I noticed that I feel uncomfortable communicating when it comes to a number of communication context, and as such this does not make me a good communicator.
My listening styles profile places me under group 1, which indicates that I am an empathetic listener, people-oriented, action-oriented and time-oriented listener, which I believe makes me a good listener. Under verbal aggressiveness my score was 68.Going through the description I realized that, the description given about me was absolutely correct because I get similar response from friends and colleagues even before I attempted this evaluation
How others evaluated me was so much different from how I evaluated myself. Although I got a few similarities which made really understand that this is all about personal perception of what people really think about people around them. People with their different point of view concerning how someone communicates.
One of the things I gained in this evaluation is that, if you are sincere about your response, you will get the right answers that will get the right answers that will help you on the long run to become an effective communicator





5 comments:

  1. Hello Patience,

    Thanks for your sharing.

    There are some people who are constantly talking, but they never stop and listen. As a general rule, such people are not very good communicators because they fail to understand that are two parties involved in every act of communication. The most important part of communication is listening, not talking. An effective communication strategy should be based on feedback from the person to whom the message is directed.

    I also agree that if we are sincere about your response, we will get the right answers that will get the right answers that will help us on the long run to become an effective communicator.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patience,

    I completely agree with you that we need to be completely sincere with these assessments and we will become more effective communicators. Knowing how we communicate really does improve our ability to communicate. I think that everyone should assess themselves for communication. It would help them understand who they are as communicators not only professionally, but also with friends and family.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. These test were the perfect tools for one to use in measuring their communication skills. Patience you are correct when you stated one need to be completely honest in order to be become a more effective communicator. Your post was a great read with helpful information.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is important to be honest with yourself when taking self assessments. On the Listening Styles profile I too fell into group one, this surprised me a little bit, because I would have thought that I am more action oriented, the people oriented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is important to be honest with yourself when taking self assessments. On the Listening Styles profile I too fell into group one, this surprised me a little bit, because I would have thought that I am more action oriented, the people oriented.

    ReplyDelete