Friday 19 June 2015

                                   Welcoming Families From Around the World

There are about 195 countries in the world today, and most people migrate from their countries to a country they feel will offer them and their children a better economic background and also create a save heaven for them. With the level of migration from one part of the world to the other people encounter culture shock and also limited ability to communicate effectively with the people in their host country.
Because of this culture shock and language barrier most people don’t feel comfortable mixing up and communicating freely. My assignment this week is to name a country and least 5 ways in which I can prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards helping families that fall into this category.
The name of the country I chose is Laos, the five ways in which I will prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family will include;
·         Learning about their culture, not only their surface culture but their deep culture because this will help me know them better and help me in working with them.
·         Collaborating with the family so that they will have an idea of what is happening in the school so as to carry on with the children when they get back home from school.
·         I will include their home culture into the activities in school so that they don’t feel left out in the school activities.
·         I will create a two way communication, interaction between me and tis family and it will be an ongoing process so that we will be able to work together and achieve success.
·         I will be visiting the family once in a while to see how they are settling and how the children are finding their new environment.
I believe as an early childhood professional if I prepare myself with the above mentioned processes it will help me go a long way in helping the family feel welcomed and part of the school community. Family- teacher relationships are important in building up or molding a total child; it helps strengthen adults’ knowledge, builds children emotional health and provides more support system for both children and their family. This will also help both I and the family to build a positive relationship and  this will help me take note of the barriers that exist like language barrier that make it difficult to communicate and possibly look for a more soothing way to help while working with them.








4 comments:

  1. This was a great blog. I never heard of the family origin that you are taking in, I believe that you have made some great approaches in trying to make the family feel like they are welcomed I also believe that these are the proper steps that needs to be taken to make sure that they feel welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience,
    I like that you included in your blog how important it is to have a good teacher - family relationship. I also think it is important to help the family and child feel welcomed into their new environment. Teacher - family relationships do help to build confidence in children and families. I always try to be a good role model for my students hoping that they will see that there are people that are willing to help while giving the students someone else to look up to. I like how you stated that a good teacher-family relationship will help to build a strong emotional health for children and parents. I also think that a strong relationship will help when there is a language barrier. The family will not be afraid to approach the teacher and get information that will help the family succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience,
    You are so right when we as educators educate ourselves on the different cultures we encounter through the children and families in our classroom it shows the child as well as his family that he and his family matters in our classroom. Communication is very important with families one can learn a lot about another through good communication. Great blog!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience,

    I love your post and the fact that you would meet with the family at least once in their home environment. I think that is a great way to get to know the family. Home visits are required in the U.S for Head-Start but their are ways to get around them which I believe is unfair. I believe visiting the home should be desired and help aide in safety for the child and enhance the learning environment at home.

    ReplyDelete