Friday 15 May 2015

                              My Family Culture
If I am caught up in a catastrophic event that will take me away from my home country to a country that share a different culture from mine and probably will not return, the three major items I will carry will be, a photo of my family and I dressed in our traditional/ cultural attire, I will like to come along with a bible and also a piece of a musical instruments that represent my culture.
When giving an explanation on the three items, I probably will start with the picture of I and my family, because on special occasions we go into a photographic studio so as to keep the memories of that particular event and retell the story. Pictures are very important and huge part of my family and they can tell stories without individuals telling the stories. The second item is a big part of my spirituality, my bible gives me direction in live, comforts me and gives me hope and re-assurance in life, it preaches love to me and how to dwell among people and not being judgmental. My last but not the least item is the African gong to play music with, for entertaining my family and maybe our new neighbors. The African gong is a unique instrument in my culture, so it will be good to introduce to our new neighbors playing and singing African melodies and I believe they will enjoy it because music is the food of love, soul and spirit. Music uplifts the spirit and relaxes us and gives joy to the heart.
If upon arrival I am told to drop two items out of my three major items I will be devastated because all three items are really important to me, but at the same time glad that my family is still with me. Aside from the three tangible items, there is one that will always be part of me, the invisible one that can never be taken away, that one remains with me until death and this is my memory. I can always improvise to get the two items I dropped replaced.

The insights I gained about myself is that I will always be strong with my family around me no matter the situation because the greatest support I can get as an individual is from my family. About my family culture, to me I feel culture changes with the emergence of new generation; culture is something that you can modify to suit your taste, and the insight I got from cultural differences as a result of this exercise is that cultural differences in general shows the way different cultures live, what they eat, their believes and their religious belives.

5 comments:

  1. I agree it would be hard to give up anything that we are told we can take, and have chosen to take. It's hard to imagine that this really occurs in the world, and blessed at the same time that it hasn't occurred to us in America. Good job on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you also. One of the items that I would take is the Bible also. I am strong believer in God and I know if I read my bible and pray to God he will bring me out this disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be very devastating to be in such a situation where I would have to leave soany special items behind. The choices I made was similar to yours. I chose family photos,family Bible, and my Mother's handwritten recipes. This class is enlightening me on how important it is to embrace family culture.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be very devastating to be in such a situation where I would have to leave soany special items behind. The choices I made was similar to yours. I chose family photos,family Bible, and my Mother's handwritten recipes. This class is enlightening me on how important it is to embrace family culture.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patience,
    I think that it would be amazing to have those pictures of your cultural dress to show and discuss with the people form the new host country. I am part Native American but was never really taught about the culture and the differences that could arise. I do live in New Mexico so I am somewhat aware of the Native American culture but I do not have that personal aspect of being included in the culture of my father.

    ReplyDelete